Spiritual Myths, Misconceptions, What's Really True? What's Not
I want you to have it all.
I'll offer you every method in my toolkit, every secret I've learned in my 68 years, and 35 years in spiritual/personal development - a clear path to precisely where you want to go.
I'd love to spare you from every unnecessary detour, dead-end, and disappointment I experienced before I finally got there.
Let's toss out disempowering misinformation you may have picked up, and ditch things that just don't ever lead to happiness.
Myth 1. It takes a lifetime to "heal".
- Truth: No, it doesn't. It can happen fast with methods that work.
It is only slow if you choose slow old-paradigm methods. If you hear yourself parroting old stuff like "you have to work hard at it" or "I have lots of issues to clear" - you're on the slow path. While enjoying my methods and tools, most of your "issues" dissolve without effort. I see some people light up overnight - even from a low starting place. Others take longer, but it's not slow!
You can see big changes in your life very soon.
Also, if you're not physically sick, you do not need HEALING. You need to wake up, open up, and raise your vibration. Then everything you thought you had to "heal" just isn't there in the new reality.
You only need healing if you're physically ILL. (You can have physical health too.)
Myth 2. You need to surrender to God's will.
I hear people saying, "I need to discover my mission on Earth" or "I want to do God's will, not my will." Don't give your power away to this false perspective.
- Truth: When you are in your Large Self, there's no difference - your Large Self's will IS God's will. Let your Large Self make your life choices and God supports it. God doesn't demand anything of you. God is not the big parent who pushes you into a certain career.
- DO THIS: You have free will, so decide what you enjoy; God, your Large Self, the entire Universe, lines it up for you. You will discover hidden talents as you open up to your Large Self.
When you are in your Large Self, your will IS God's will.
Myth 3. God is some grumpy authority figure who judges, punishes, and commands.
- Truth: God isn't judgmental, angry, or mean - humans projected that onto God. Your parents, society, and religious background influenced your default concept of God. Do this: create your own concept of God, and those beliefs will play out in your life.
- DO THIS: Write down the qualities of YOUR God: "non-judgmental; personal; friendly; supportive; helpful; generous; interested in even my mundane needs; like a rich, generous dad; God isn't above me but enfolds me deep inside of itself."
Create your concept of God. Really - write it down, and chat with it like a friend.
Myth 4. You should get rid of your ego.
- Truth: I don't use the term ego at all - it's been made "bad." Just let your Large Self drive the bus and keep your small self in the back seat, and you'll do great. Do not try to get rid of your ego, or any part of yourself. You are a magnificent being, made in God's image.
- DO THIS: Don't hide your brilliance; express who you are, be it, know it, radiate it. Most of the great art, music, innovations, institutions, philanthropy, and inventions sprung from those with healthy egos. Those who don't express their genius don't help anyone.
Now, if your small self takes over, that causes you trouble. But jettison this false humility/no ego thing. It's rarely authentic.
You are magnificent. Every part of you.
Myth 5. You must clear your karma.
- Truth: Karma is a made-up concept, conceived to try to explain why we suffer. Give away your power to karma and you are saying, "I am powerless to create my reality - it's karma."
God doesn't chalk up your wrongs! Man does that to himself. Have you ever had a bad thought about someone, and instantly stubbed your toe? If you choose to believe in karma, good luck. You have millions of lifetimes to pay off, and it will not be fun. See you in a few thousand years. Or you could be having a great life right now.
DO THIS: Learn how YOU created your life, and how to change that and start living happily ever after NOW. You won't want to blame karma or anything else.
Don't give your power away to karma - learn how you create your reality.
Myth 6: You get spiritual brownie points for being good.
- Truth: You have nothing to achieve or earn. You were not born in Original Sin. You have free will and God loves you no matter what. Don't give your power away trying to "be good."
- DO THIS: Aim for a high vibration and spiritual wisdom.
You are already good.
Myth 7. Unworthiness is hard to overcome.
- Truth: You are born worthy - simply accept this truth. All creatures were created worthy and deserving. Unworthiness is a product of the human mind, and it's a lie. Every bird, snake, and worm feels worthy.
- DO THIS: When you deny your worthiness you are disagreeing with Source, so decide now to agree with Source. Don't give your power away to that wrong-making machine in your head (mind).
Oddly, spiritual people are by far the most plagued by unworthiness, probably due to centuries of conditioning by politicized religions that didn't want people to know how powerful they were; they wanted to control the masses, and it's impossible to control magnificent, powerful beings who feel worthy.
You are created worthy. Period.
Myth 8. Heaven and Hell are where you go after death.
- Truth: Heaven and Hell are conveniently located right here on Earth. Don't give your power away to stuff written thousands of years ago by primitive people. Some religions want you to be in fear, so you'll believe them instead of listening to your Inner Guidance.
- DO THIS: Choose a path that works, and stop doing and believing anything that takes you to Hell.
Develop your ability to tap into Source directly. It comes with spiritual maturity.
Myth 9. You shouldn't be selfish.
We've been told that doing what we want or what feels good is selfish - that's it's good to sacrifice, and put others first.
- Truth: The Creator built self-interest into every creature, and this is a good thing.
- DO THIS: Put your Large Self in charge, train your mind to serve your Large Self, and you won't harm anyone. Doing what feels good to you is part of your guidance system.
Example: When people say large corporations are selfish, bad, and greedy, I ask them, "How many jobs do they provide? How many paychecks do they pay out?" People could start their own businesses, but most do not - they choose to work for someone else who'll bear all the risk, and provide structure and a steady income. If you work for them appreciate it - don't bite the hand that feeds you (or call it selfish.)
As your Large Self, do what feels good to YOU, and it helps others naturally.
Myth 10. The meek shall inherit the Earth.
- Truth: "The non-resistant shall inherit the Earth" is what I got when I asked within. The non-resistant are minding their own business and not fighting or pushing against what others are doing. The strong kill each other and wear themselves out while the non-resistant are living happily ever after. The non-resistant find Heaven on Earth. The less resistant you get (higher on the Instrument Panel), the more you'll feel like you do own the Earth, and really will be able to create your own reality.
The non-resistant shall inherit the Earth.
Myth 11. The goal is to ascend out of here. Being on Earth is inferior to the spiritual world.
- Truth: You didn't take a wrong turn at the 11th dimension and land her by mistake. You came here to experience the delights of the senses and the slowed-down energies of the physical -- to play and create here in this special environment of greater contrasts. To pretend you can die. To pretend you have limits so you can overcome them and remember who you really are. To smell the scent of dry grass on a summer's day (as I did this morning). For the past 43 years, my intention has been Heaven On Earth. Not to get out of here.
Heaven is right here on Earth. You came here on purpose!
Hear a sample of Lola's heavenly original song, Heaven.
Myth 12. Materialism is bad or evil.
- Truth: Believing money is scarce is buying into the material, too. The rich person who believes money is just a tool and is no big deal is less materialistic than the poor person who is constantly controlled by lack of money. Being obsessed with money, even the lack of it, is materialism, and makes money into your God. Focusing on the physical world and giving it more power than the Non-Physical world is materialistic. Believing in your physical/material limitations is materialistic. Knowing that the physical is just a playground is not materialistic at all. Interesting, yes?
Materialism is letting money and the physical world rule you.
Myth 13. Be in the world but not of it? i.e. don't be attached to this world.
- Truth: Live here on Earth to the fullest, but don't think you are this body. Know that you are a magnificent creator. Even in the face of challenges, know who you are. You know for sure that there is no true danger in all the Universe when you get this, deep down.
You're an eternal energy in a temporary body.
Myth 14. Spiritual awakening means you give up the material world.
- Truth: Everything is spiritual. There is nothing that is not spiritual. Money is spiritual. Dirt and slime are spiritual. So stop throwing it all into two convenient boxes: spiritual and not spiritual. Everything in creation is made of God energy.
Everything is spiritual.
Myth 15. Life is to learn lessons. Someone made this up to try and explain why life can be hard, and other writers of spiritual books copied it till it became a persistent metaphysical myth.
- Truth: Lessons have absolutely nothing to do with why you're here. You are here for joy and expansion.
Someone made this up to try and explain why life can be hard, and other writers of spiritual books copied it till it became a metaphysical myth--but lessons have absolutely nothing to do with why you're here. Unfortunately, many people have taken on this belief. (Note they're not very happy.) They constantly endure painful lessons, doing what they think is their spiritual duty. The drudgery will never end.
Those who believe it are constantly enduring painful lessons, doing what they sincerely believe is their spiritual duty. If you sign up for the "life is a school" paradigm, you'll never graduate - the lessons never end, and there is no reward.
If you let go of this completely false belief, you can have a happy, lesson-free life. Of course you will learn and evolve! It speeds up with the tools I'll share with you. Life IS change, expansion, and evolution. But it doesn't have to be endless lessons.
Source isn't punitive. (Source doesn't punish, humans do.) Source wants you to enjoy life as you expand, and explore. There is nothing to graduate from, no test to pass, and no grade to earn.
You can be happy and go to recess now!
Myth 16. There are evil forces vying for dominion over you or out to get you.
- Truth: No, darlin', that's Star Wars. Humans look for any excuse to avoid the responsibility that we each create our own reality. Be deliberate about how you vibrate right now and you have no worries in YOUR reality about the devil, evil spirits, ghosts, entities, unfriendly aliens, evil-doers, or anything.
There is no "dark energy". There is only low vibration.
I'll share an experience: As I lay in bed the dark room filled with an extremely scary, evil feeling and a hideously ugly face appeared right in front of and above me. The Presence soothed and guided me in what it was, and what to say. "You're just a lost and rejected part of me, and I'm not afraid of you. I love you. I am sorry I banished you by denying that I had any darkness in me." The room filled with love and I was never afraid of evil again.
I never had another experience like that again.
Much of the hate in the world is due to our projecting all that is bad on others and not recognizing it in ourselves. The more we admit our humanity and imperfection, the less it comes around to bite us in another form. It's an advanced stage of spiritual maturity. Many people don't move on to spiritual maturity -- they get a little way along the path, and stop there.
You can stop worrying about evil now!
More myths to bust!
Myth 17. You must give up the material world.
- Truth: Source created the material world for you to enjoy. And Source enjoys it through you. Why would you come here only to reject the gift? Self-torture is primitive. Buddha discovered it was not the path to enlightenemnt.
Related Myth: "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle." It can be tempting to put all of one's faith in and focus on the material world when one has a lot of material stuff, and be its slave rather than it's master. So remember that Source created all of it. Assign the power to your Large Self (God) rather than to the "stuff". The stuff is only stuff, and tools. Value the Giver, who is permanent, more than the gifts, which are not.
Worship the Giver, not the gifts.
Myth 18. Spiritual teachers cannot be passionate about worldly things and worldly endeavors.
- Truth: There is this weird stereotype that if spiritual teachers are the real thing, do nothing else. They wear robes and meditate all day. Not so. I know one who has traveled the world and taught for decades who is soon retiring to raise bees. I know another who can rebuild a car, create computer graphics, and fly a jet. He sat with hippies and laughed as they did acid in the 60's, then showed them how to get high without it. He has a giant fire hose he uses for the Hindu Holi celebration. A raging fire swept his Malibu coast neighborhood, and he personally got out there and saved all the neighbors homes by soaking them with the fire hose. He was my first inspiration, and I've followed his lead, and have always been multi-creative. Since The Presence woke up in me, it wants to express in so many more ways than spiritual teaching... from business, to inventing, to art, graphics, music, internet marketing genius, decorating, writing... the list is long and getting longer. And my gift is teaching how to have all this work in the physical world. There will soon be business courses on the site. My creativity and productivity is out of control. This website is a virtual world I've created, and it never stops.
I LOVE, adore, and relish mundane, everyday life. I love simple things like cooking, working on the computer, and being in nature. It's why I am here, not to try to ascend somewhere else or achieve something. There is eternity to be somewhere else.
Myth 19. Once you get to spiritual awakening, you must quit your job and become a healer or teacher.
- Truth: Everyone has unique gifts and destinies. Divine Openings helps people get clear about what their true path is, and they either rekindle their passion for their current gig (they weren't there by accident) or find something they love that really suits them. Few of those who complete the 5 Day Silent Intensive end up getting guidance to be Divine Openings Givers. Most get who they really are, and find the most authentic way for their real gift to come through, whether in construction, sales, or as a school teacher.
A California teacher did wonders with her school students Divine Openings after attending the 5 Day Silent Retreat. Her true calling is obviously to be a school teacher! Another grad gives Divine Facials, and the recipients get a Divine Opening as they get their yummy, nurturing facial. There are so many ways to help and contribute, and if everyone were a healer, there'd be no one to build websites, create music, fix cars, teach our kids, or do accounting. Starving healers are in the wrong profession for the wrong reasons. Guidance can be interpreted in many ways, and "heal people" doesn't always mean "be a healer".
Your ability to hear and interpret guidance accurately increases if you do and stick to Divine Openings. Follow your passions rather than listening to others. I know psychics who tell everyone who comes to their table that they will become a healer or author, or that they're "supposed" to be this or that.
There are countless ways to enlighten and serve.
Forget the extremely narrow stereotypes.
Myth 20. More metaphysical knowledge is better. The more spiritual stuff you learn, books you read, seminars you take, and the more meditations you attend, the higher you'll go.
- Truth: Sorry, folks, I actually find it to be the opposite. The most confused and stuck people I ever worked with were mixing lots of modalities. The people I see get the freest the fastest are those who come to me without any, or very little, previous metaphysical knowledge or training.
Before I did my 21 days of blessed silence, communing only with Divine Presence within in India, speaking to no human, I had already made a powerful decision: to forget and let go of everything I knew. Deep within I knew that all that past stuff, bless it, had gotten me to "here", but no farther, so I needed to let go of it. I knew when I came home, anything I needed would still be there, but for sure, most of it, including boxes of books, ended up in the recycle bin. I needed that like a bird needs a hang glider.
That is one reason these spiritual myths are so clear since then. My greatest gift is the ability to let go and let The Divine do it. I don't know how it works, and don't care to know. The people who "know the most stuff" are usually not the happiest, most free or most powerful, in their work or in their own lives.
Knowledge is the booby prize. It'll never set you free.
So often, people are conditioned to seek and never find. They are the toughest to convince to let go and let it be incredibly simple. Thank God Divine Openings performs miracles! They know so much it's hard to move into this pure, direct place that Divine Openings can take you to. I can work with anyone, and get them free and clear if they're willing to stop seeking and focus.
Mixing modalities, paths, books, and other perfectly good stuff with your Divine Openings is like taking a glass of fine aged wine.... and adding excellent brandy, expensive whiskey, top label gin, and premium beer to it. Or like saying that one song sounds so beautiful, you'll play three more songs at the same time to make it more beautiful.
Pick one thing that is working and STICK TO IT, even if it's not Divine Openings. If that's not working, and if your life isn't fantastic, drop everything else and do Divine Openings.
Truth is simple.
Myth 21. You need "protection". Some people believe you need spiritual protection from dark spirits--that they can "get in" or take over.
- Truth: No one or nothing in the universe can harm you. There is nothing to protect from except yourself, your own vibration, because you are so powerful you can make anything real. There are no evil spirits, there is no such thing as psychic attack, but you can conjure them up if you believe in them.
Or if you're not willing to deal with your own darkness, you may project that darkness on others, or on some boogie man. Then, ironically, all those incantations and bubbles of white light won't protect you from your own self. The people I've met who go to the most trouble to do spiritual, physical, and personal protection have the most troubles! They're creating it. Live as if you're too powerful to worry about harm. You are.
There is nothing out there except you.
Myth 22. The world is getting worse, this is the worst time in history, the worst crisis time ever, blah, blah, blah.
- Truth: Read Matt Ridley's excellent research-based book The Rational Optimist for factual proof that the world is getting steadily better all the time.
It will play out for you personally according to your beliefs and vibration, so choose your beliefs.
Myths disempower you and don't get you to what you want. Now here's what does...